Oscar weekend is upon us and we are rolling out all the movie hacks and watch-party essentials that you’ll need to be prepared for this year’s red carpet. There’s been a lot of controversy surrounding the 2016 awards season (see inappropriate swag bags and lack of diversity on the ballot), but it’s still scheduled to be a blow out and everyone’s dying to know, will Leo finally walk away with a win?
There are plenty of great movies nominated for Best Picture this year, including The Big Short, Bridge of Spies, Brooklyn, Mad Max: Fury Road, The Martian, The Revenant, Room, and Spotlight. With only a couple of days left to fill in our Oscar movie gaps, we’ll be spending the weekend at our local theater catching up. Here’s a list of movie theater hacks that are sure to provide for the best movie watching experience:
- Avoid peak times – Go to screenings during off times to avoid noisy and crowded theaters. Foot traffic is typically the slowest in the mornings or anytime on Mondays through Wednesdays. The busiest times fall on the weekend, usually from 2 until 11 PM.
- Find the best prices – Seek out smaller theaters (i.e. not AMC) for cheaper ticket prices. Here in New York, some of our favorite spots include Nitehawk Cinema, Landmark Sunshine Cinema, and Angelika Film Center. Most theaters also run special promotions or discounts on social media so make sure to check online before making any purchases.
- Get the best seat – Seating is key. For the best sound in the theater, sit two-thirds of the way back. Center seats are obviously ideal, but they put you at risk of losing the seat in front of you as a foot rest. Opt for seats on the side to ensure more of a buffer zone for your lounging pleasures.
- Cozy up – Bring a blanket to keep warm in the chilly theater air.
- Bring snacks – If you’re like us, then snacks are essential when watching movies. Movie theaters may provide tasty and tempting options but bringing your own s’weets can be a cheaper and and more rewarding alternative. They don’t offer freshly baked cookies at the theater!
- Bring a S’well full of wine – If there’s only one thing that you take away from this blog, it needs to be this: our 25oz S’well Bottle holds an entire bottle of wine, which means you can sneak your favorite Pinot in to practically anywhere. Bring your S’well to share and enjoy wine throughout an entire feature film.
Once you’re caught up on all of the Oscar buzz, it’s time to start prepping for the actual award show. The Oscars are set to air Sunday, February 28th at 8:30 PM EST. Call up all of your film buff and celebrity-obsessed friends to gather around for Hollywood’s hottest night. In an attempt to really embrace the star-studded experience, we compiled a list of tips for hosting or attending an Oscars watch party.
- Tune into the red carpet – The red carpet opens at 7PM EST. Tune in early to scope out your favorite actors and to see what they’re wearing. E! Live from the Red Carpet is great for gauging best and worst dressed.
- Prepare snacks ahead of time – Like we said earlier, snacks are essential so it’s important to plan ahead. Stop by the grocery store to grab necessities like cookie dough, popcorn, and M&Ms. Check out our Pinterest page for appetizer and finger food ideas. If you’re feeling less than motivated, order-in. Award shows go great with a side of Thai food.
- Skip the commercials – If you don’t suffer from fear-of-missing-out, record the show and wait 30-45 minutes until after the official air time before starting. You can skip through the majority of the commercials until it’s finally time for the good stuff (e.g. Award for Best Picture).
- Get social – One of the best parts of awards shows is seeing what everyone else has to say about it online. Twitter and Snapchat are typically the best platforms to get live feedback of what’s going on in real time. We’ll be up and running on both – follow us @swellbottle.
- Supply the S’well – If you’re attending an Oscars watch party, don’t come empty handed. Bring a S’well full of wine to ensure that your beverage stays at just the right temperature all night long. If you’re hosting, it’s safe to say that you should do the same.
- Play a drinking game – Create your own fun and make up an Oscars drinking game. Try taking a sip every time someone’s acceptance speech is awkwardly interrupted by the transition music. Then, add in your own rules.
Don’t forget to follow us on Snapchat (@swellbottle) for coverage of our very own Oscars watch party.
Before the beautiful summer weather leaves us once again, we’re trying to fit in as many group gathering as we can. And let’s face it, who doesn’t love a dinner party with friends and family? We’ve rounded up a few quick tips to keep in mind when you throw the ultimate Dinner Party over Labor Day weekend:
Serving up a cheese plate to start? If it were up to us, we could eat cheese for the whole meal. But we love Real Simple’s guide to the perfect cheese platter, which outlines the different varieties to consider and what to serve with it. We recommend using one of Brooklyn Slate’s beautiful cheese boards, sure to catch the eye of your guests.
If you’re thinking about assigned seating, our 9oz S’well bottles are the perfect alternative to place cards. Use the Chalk Ink Pens to personalize each bottle with your guests’ names. At the end of the party, they’ll walk away with a fun memento of the night!
Set the table
You know the fork goes on the left, knife on the right, but you have to set the rest of the table too. We love the variety of flower arrangements The Bouqs creates and their guarantee of the freshest flowers.
Set the tone
Music will set the tone for any dinner party. You don’t want to put your guests to sleep, but you don’t want to feel like they’re eating dinner at a rave. We love Spotify’s “The Lounge Bar” playlist, that has stripped down lounge versions and covers of some of your favorite songs.
Gift for the host
As a guest, it’s customary to bring a bottle of wine, a dessert or a small gift for your host. Why not bring them a 25oz S’well! You can even chill a bottle of wine and put it in the bottle before giving it to your host so he or she can serve it.
When it comes to our summer drink of choice, we’ve got 3 simple words for you; Rosé. All. Day. With that in mind, we made the best summer accessory for you, the “#OnlyRosé” S’well bottle! Pour a full chilled bottle right into this 25oz bottle and bring it anywhere from a beach getaway to a rooftop party. And don’t worry about condensation getting on the inside of your bag. The double-walled lining will keep your bottle sweat free!
In honor of “Wine Wednesday” or wine any day, follow our Winesday Pinterest board, highlighting all things we love about wine.
Shop our Limited Edition #OnlyRosé S’well bottle here and be sure to check out our other Breakfast Club Collection bottles, available while supplies last.
It’s not quite breakfast and it’s not yet lunch. You know it as well as we do, it might be the best meal of all; brunch. There’s something about waking up late, rolling out of bed and recalling memories of the previous night with friends over runny eggs (with mounds of avocado and hot sauce of course) and some hair of the dog that bit you the night before.
If you can’t tell, the members of team S’well are pro brunch. To honor our devotion to our favorite meal, we’ve created a Limited Edition Breakfast Club Collection featuring “Put an Egg on It” (it is the year of the egg after all) and Brunch!
We’ve additionally created a bottle being sold exclusively on KEEP, boasting everyone’s favorite summer drink, “#OnlyRosé.” The 25oz S’well can hold an entire bottle of wine and will keep it cold for 24 hours so you can Rosé all day this Summer.
This weekend, we’re hosting a launch event for the Breakfast Club, over Brunch of course, at the Surf Lodge in Montauk in collaboration with KEEP. Stalk the photos with the hashtag #keepbrunchswell and live vicariously through the runny egg avocado toast, frittatas and lox. The S’well bottles will be available online for purchase on Friday afternoon, while supplies last.
February is here and love is in the air! Valentine’s Day is right around the corner and the pressure is on for the perfect gift. Diamonds, chocolates, roses – they’re so last year. This year is all about S’well bottles and a fresh box of donuts! Recipe for success:
Take your 25oz Sparkling Champagne filled to the brim with bubbly on a night out with your special someone. The vacuum seal will keep the champagne carbonated to ensure your night really sparkles. Feeling poetic? Write a love note on your Valentine’s S’well bottle with our Chalk Ink pens. Lucky for you, the chalk ink wipes off easily with a wet cloth so if you aren’t ready to commit to the L-word…
Can’t decide which color to go with? We recommend Sparkling Champagne & Pink Champagne pictured below from the Glitter Collection. Enter our PIN IT TO WIN IT contest on Pinterest for a chance to win one of these bottles. Make sure to pin this photo and tag #swellbottle. The winners will be announced on 3/15.
And for all of you still thinking about the donuts, the best donuts in NYC are from Dough, just a few blocks from the S’well bottle HQ.