Here at S’well, we take Earth Day very seriously. Our mission, after all, is to rid the world of plastic waste. In honor of Earth Day and in an effort to leave this planet better than we found it, we wanted to extend a few tips and tricks to green out your work place according to the 3 R’s: reduce, reuse and recycle.
- Probably one of the biggest and most effective ways to green out your office is to simply implement policies that discourage the use of unnecessary waste and encourage practices like reusing and recycling.
- Go digital, because Google Docs is the new notebook. Avoid printing when you can and print double-sided when you can’t. Remember, there are plenty of digital tools out there that can help avoid situations that require excessive amounts of printed paper.
- Turn it off. Conserve energy by turning off or unplugging any electronic devices that aren’t in use. Better yet, opt for natural light.
- Invest in a killer water bottle and use it like it’s your job. Plastic bottles are bad for the environment, your health and your wallet. S’well Bottles are the perfect accessory to carry you from your morning caffeine fix, afternoon hydration, all the way into evening workouts. Pro tip: ask the barista at your local coffee shop to fill your bottle up directly with coffee. You’ll spare the cup AND your coffee is guaranteed to stay hot for at least 12 hours.
- Break out the reusable containers. If you don’t already do so, consider bringing your lunch to work over getting takeout. Homemade lunches typically save money and calories. But don’t skimp on your food storage. We’re partial to a cool lunchbox or glass tupperware.
- BYOB – bring your own bag. Reusable bags are all the rage, nowadays. You can use them to run errands, pick up groceries or carry some extra stuff home from the office. The company Baggu has recently taken New York by storm. Their standard bag comes in a variety of colors and can be easily packed into a purse or briefcase.
- Do your part. Help out where you can by recycling what you can. Plastic, paper, glass, batteries, printer cartridges, old electronics & more can all be recycled.
- Arrange for disposal. Figure out what the best way of collecting and disposing of the recyclable materials is. Sometimes this can be arranged by the building management. Depending on the size of your company, you might also consider hiring an outside service.
- Enforce it. The most important step of your green efforts is to make sure that everyone holds up their end of the deal. Always reiterate the cardinal rule: reduce unnecessary waste, reuse what you can & recycle what you can’t.
You can take the 3 R’s a step further by encouraging other methods of going green. Add plants to your office space to brighten up the area and filter the air. Commute smarter by walking, biking, carpooling or taking public transport to work. If you’re really committed, you can order custom S’well bottles for your company. We aim to align ourselves with similar brands that will echo our mission and message.
Earth Day is here and it always makes us take a step back and think about how we can be more green and help the planet. We’ve come up with a few tips for you to keep in mind:
Turn Off The Lights
This one seems pretty easy, yet it’s such an easy thing to forget. When you leave a room, turn the lights off. It’s as simple as that.
We love to visit Manhattan’s Union Square Farmer’s Market. It’s a great way to try all different foods from locally sourced vendors and farms. Buying locally is a great delicious way to help the planet and your local community.
As a reusable water bottle company and partner of The U.S. Fund for UNICEF Tap Project, we highly encourage all of our followers to conserve water. Try to remember to turn off the water when you’re brushing your teeth and to take shorter showers too.
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
If you own a S’well bottle you’re automatically reducing the number of plastic water bottles being used! It is so simple to replace your plastic bottles with our S’well. Plus, your water will stay colder much longer than in your dreaded plastic bottle.
We even suggest to re-use the beautiful packaging your S’well bottle comes in. How about using your packaging as a table centerpiece- you can wrap the packaging with wrapping paper and insert dried flowers! You can even use your empty tube as a spaghetti holder! Tag your best shots of reusing your S’well packaging with #greenswell for chance to win a GREEN S’well.
Adding the new bird feeder to our ginkgo tree outside the S’well HQ
S’well has always been committed to giving back to the community. So, when we heard about MillionTreesNYC, we jumped at the opportunity to help. MillionTreesNYC (MTNYC) is a citywide program whose goal is to plant one million new trees in NYC over the next ten years. They provide tools and host events dedicated to learning about the creation and preservation of trees in the city. This program is funded both by the City of New York and private organizations to make the city a cleaner and more beautiful place to live.
Our team decided to contribute to their cause by caring for the two male ginkgo trees outside of the S’well office. The continued care of NYC trees is another very important aspect of the MTNYC initiative. We were so excited about adopting our new trees that we posted a lovely photo on Instagram. After posting, we were contacted by the outreach coordinator of MTNYC named Jessica. She was so friendly that even provided us with a toolkit which contained gardening equipment and instructions for the care of our tree.
One afternoon, the whole team took the trek outside helping to care for and beautify our new ginkgo trees. We cleaned out all of the trash from the tree base and added some fertile soil. We also chose beautiful flowers to plant underneath our new trees and even added a bird feeder to attract some local wildlife to our doorstep. We appreciated the many compliments from passerby’s and neighbors and hoped we inspired them to care for other trees in the neighborhood.
Charlie and Lana prepare to plant their flowers
Erin showing off her gardening skills
Now, it’s your turn: S’well needs help naming our two new ginkgo trees. We are hosting a naming contest and running now through July 31st. Please comment on our Facebook post with a name for our trees to enter. The top two names will each receive a 17 oz. Clubhouse S’well bottle!
The S’well team is very excited to cheer on the amazing teams during this year’s World Cup. We believe that hydration is the key when playing the beautiful game of soccer.
Our stainless steel water bottle allowed us to keep our drinks cold during the whole game and even the carbonated drinks stayed fresh from start to finish thanks to our vacuum seal top.
The game lasted into overtime where the USA suffered quite a defeat against the Belgian team. Within minutes, Belgium scored two goals. It looked like there might be a glimmer of hope for the USA when Julian Green came back with a goal on the 107th minute. Unfortunately, they could not tie up the score and their quest for the World Cup came to a halt.
Even though it was a tough defeat, S’well was thrilled to see that many World Cup fans were also S’well fans. Our bottle was quite a popular accessory in the Brazilian heat. Fans carried the bottle that best represented their country’s colors.
Batman is showing off his stylish S’well bottle.
Keeping cool on the beach in Brazil.
S’well has a color for every team.
Staying hydrated during the World Cup is hard, especially in the tropical Brazilian weather. Having access to cold water throughout the day is essential in combating the effects of dehydration, heat stroke and heat exhaustion. In hot weather, we should each consume about 100 oz. of water a day. If you go by that rule, you would have to purchase nine plastic water bottles at the store every single day. Alternatively, you can just refill your 25 oz. S’well Bottle four times.
Whether you are a player or a fan, remember that hydration is very important for your health and well-being. Drink in style with bottles in colors that match your favorite team, and be sure to tune into the final World Cup game on Sunday, July 13!
Here at S’well, we believe in generating a positive impact on the world. We achieve this by making eco-friendly products and contributing to charitable organizations. By helping those in need, we can help to create a cleaner, healthier, and happier world to live in. This year, we are excited to announce our partnership with the Whole Planet Foundation in honor of a holiday that is near and dear to the S’well mission, Earth Day!
For Earth Day, each member of the S’well team has made a pledge to reduce their carbon footprint. We know that by eating locally grown produce and walking to work, we can do our part in reducing these harmful emissions. We have also filmed our pledges in hopes to inspire people around us to take a look at their own carbon footprint. You can find all of the S’well videos on our twitter and instagram pages. In addition to our personal pledges, on April 22nd, we will be selling our limited-edition Earth Day S’well bottles.
These exclusive Earth Day S’well bottles, which are sold online, will retail for $30, and for every bottle sold we will donate $5 to the Whole Planet Foundation. These bottles can be found here. S’well is proud to support the fact, that 100% of the proceeds to the Whole Planet Foundation are used for micro loans to help fund female entrepreneurs in less-privileged communities. We believe that the empowerment of women is an important tool in raising these communities above the poverty line.
Charities like the Whole Planet Foundation are essential in the fight to end poverty around the globe. That is why S’well is also donating 5 of their special Earth Day bottles to the Whole Planet Foundation’s blog contest. By working with the Whole Planet Foundation, S’well is making the world a better place one bottle at a time.