Here at S’well, we take Earth Day very seriously. Our mission, after all, is to rid the world of plastic waste. In honor of Earth Day and in an effort to leave this planet better than we found it, we wanted to extend a few tips and tricks to green out your work place according to the 3 R’s: reduce, reuse and recycle.
- Probably one of the biggest and most effective ways to green out your office is to simply implement policies that discourage the use of unnecessary waste and encourage practices like reusing and recycling.
- Go digital, because Google Docs is the new notebook. Avoid printing when you can and print double-sided when you can’t. Remember, there are plenty of digital tools out there that can help avoid situations that require excessive amounts of printed paper.
- Turn it off. Conserve energy by turning off or unplugging any electronic devices that aren’t in use. Better yet, opt for natural light.
- Invest in a killer water bottle and use it like it’s your job. Plastic bottles are bad for the environment, your health and your wallet. S’well Bottles are the perfect accessory to carry you from your morning caffeine fix, afternoon hydration, all the way into evening workouts. Pro tip: ask the barista at your local coffee shop to fill your bottle up directly with coffee. You’ll spare the cup AND your coffee is guaranteed to stay hot for at least 12 hours.
- Break out the reusable containers. If you don’t already do so, consider bringing your lunch to work over getting takeout. Homemade lunches typically save money and calories. But don’t skimp on your food storage. We’re partial to a cool lunchbox or glass tupperware.
- BYOB – bring your own bag. Reusable bags are all the rage, nowadays. You can use them to run errands, pick up groceries or carry some extra stuff home from the office. The company Baggu has recently taken New York by storm. Their standard bag comes in a variety of colors and can be easily packed into a purse or briefcase.
- Do your part. Help out where you can by recycling what you can. Plastic, paper, glass, batteries, printer cartridges, old electronics & more can all be recycled.
- Arrange for disposal. Figure out what the best way of collecting and disposing of the recyclable materials is. Sometimes this can be arranged by the building management. Depending on the size of your company, you might also consider hiring an outside service.
- Enforce it. The most important step of your green efforts is to make sure that everyone holds up their end of the deal. Always reiterate the cardinal rule: reduce unnecessary waste, reuse what you can & recycle what you can’t.
You can take the 3 R’s a step further by encouraging other methods of going green. Add plants to your office space to brighten up the area and filter the air. Commute smarter by walking, biking, carpooling or taking public transport to work. If you’re really committed, you can order custom S’well bottles for your company. We aim to align ourselves with similar brands that will echo our mission and message.